- He was the first to issue regular currency and declare Delhi as the capital of his empire.
- He introduced the silver tanka and the copper jital - the two basic coins of the Sultanate period, with a standard weight of 175 grains.
- He introduced Iqtadari system: division of empire into Iqtas, which were assigned to the nobles and officers in lieu of salary.
- He built the Hauz-i-Shamsi reservoir in Mehrauli in 1230.
- He completed the Qutub Minar started by Qutubuddin Aibak.
- Sultan Ghari which is considered the first Islamic Mausoleum in Delhi, was constructed by him in memory of his eldest son, Prince Nasiru'd-Din Mahmud.
- Genghis Khan, the Mongolian invader appeared for the first time on the banks of river Indus, during his reign.
- He was the longest serving Slave ruler who ruled for 25 years.