CDS 2012 (1) ( held on 12.02.2012 )
31. If news is broadcast from London at 10:30 am, at what time it will be heard at Baghdad (45o E)?
- 7:30 am
- 9:00 am
- 1:30 pm
- 12:00 noon
32. The site of Harappa is located on the bank of river
33. Which one among the following statements regarding Bal Gangadhar Tilak is not correct?
- He propounded the theory of the arctic home of the Aryans
- He founded the anti-cow-killing society
- He set up the home rule league at Poona
- He supported the age of consent bill
34. Which one among the following principles was not propagated by the theosophical society?
- Belief in karma and rebirth
- Belief in universal brotherhood and humanity
- Belief in vedantic philosophy
- Belief in the eradication of untouchability
35. Which one among the following statements is correct?
- The revolt of 1857 was not supported by Nizam of Hyderabad.
- Dinabandhu Mitra was the author of the book, Unhappy India.
- The Sindhias of Gwalior gave shelter to the Rani of Jhansi.
- Mangal Pandey led the sepoys March to Delhi.
36. Who among the following Governor-Generals formed the Triple Alliance against Tipu Sultan?
- Warren Hastings
- Lord Cornwallis
- Lord Wellesley
- Lord William Bentinck
37. Take the case of dignity and equal rights for women. How do democracies help?
- Women in democracies have equal degree of political representation in legislatures
- Women in democracies have guaranteed rights and are always treated with respect
- Women in democracies are not subjected to sex discrimination in most aspects of social life
- In democracies, the principle of equality is accepted as legal norm, which makes it easier to guarantee their freedom and dignity
38. The constitution of India is republican because it
- provides for an elected Parliament
- provides for an adult franchise
- contains a bill of rights
- has no hereditary elements
39. Assume that India and Pakistan are engaged in an increasingly volatile situation over the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir with a Kargil type infiltration by Pakistan. A conventional war between both the countries is inevitable under the shadow of nuclear weapons. In this situation, what is the nuclear capacity that India should possess against Pakistan to deter a nuclear exchange?
- A first ‘use nuclear policy’
- A much larger nuclear arsenal than Pakistan
- A credible nuclear deterrence with second strike capability
- An intercontinental ballistic missile with a range of 5000 km
40. Which of the following statements is correct with regard to Yudh Abhyas
- It is an Indian military ‘war game’ with regard to Pakistan
- It is an Indian military exercise with Oman
- It is an Indian military exercise with Bhutan
- It is an Indian military exercise with the US
41. Which one among the following statements is correct with regard to the C-5M Super Galaxy?
- It is a large military helicopter.
- It is a large military transport aircraft.
- It is a galaxy of stars very close to sun.
- It is a US fighter aircraft to be completed in 2014.
42. Consider the following statements :
- The Kalinga Prize is an award given by UNESCO for exceptional skill in presenting scientific ideas to lay people.
- Dorairajan Balasubramanian was the last person from India to receive the Kalinga Prize.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
43. Which one among the following companies received Golden Peacock Environment Management Award for the year 2011?
44. Match List-I with List-II and effect the correct answer using the code given below the lists:
|List – I|
(Short listed Book for DSC Prize for South Asian Literature, 2012)
|List - II |
|A. Bharathipura||1. Kavery Nambian|
|B. A Street in Srinagar||2. Shehan Karunatilaka|
|C. Chinaman||3. Chandrakanta|
|D. The Story that must not be told||4. U.R. Ananthamurthy|
- A - 4; B - 2; C - 3; D - 1
- A - 1; B - 2; C - 3; D - 4
- A - 4; B - 3; C - 2; D - 1
- A - 1; B - 3; C - 2; D - 4
45. In which one among the following Latin American countries, a woman has for the first time won the presidential elections for the second term?
46. Which one among the following is a fundamental duty of citizens under the Constitution of India?
- To provide friendly cooperation to the people of the neighbouring countries
- To protect monuments of national importance
- To defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so
- To know more and more about the histroy of India
47. Which one among the following statements is correct?
- Due to border problems, India's trade with China did not register a quantum jump between the years 2001-2010
- The stand-off between India and China on Pakistan and Arunachal Pradesh did not let India's trade to grow with China in the years 2001-2010 as much as it grew in the years 1991-2001
- While India-China trade has registered a quantum jump between the years 2001-2010, both the countries have ensured parity of trade
- In spite of border problems, India's trade with China registered a quantum jump during the years 2001-2010
48. Which one among the following statements about globalization is not correct?
- Advocates of globalization argue that it will result in greater economic growth
- Critics of globalisation argue that it will result in greater economic disparity
- Advocates of globalization argue that it will result in cultural homogenization
- Critics of globalization argue that it will result in cultural homogenization
49. The best colours for a Sun umbrella will be
- black on top and red on inside
- black on top and white on inside
- red on top and black on inside
- white on top and black on inside
50. Before X-ray examination (coloured X-ray) of the stomach, patients are given suitable salt of barium because
- barium salts are white in colour and this helps stomach to appear clearly
- barium is good absorber of X-rays and helps stomach to appear clearly
- barium salts are easily available
- barium allows X-rays to pass through the stomach