SSC GL Exam 2014 - 26.10.14 (P.M.)
1. In the case of direct taxes, the payment liability and the ultimate burden of the tax lies upon
- the person on whom it has not been imposed
- the tax department who collects the taxes
- both on whom it has been imposed and on whom it is not imposed
- the person on whom it has been imposed
2. Interest paid to a bank for a crop loan is
- a factor payment
- capital formation
- intermediate consumption
- a transfer payment
3. Economic growth refers to
- continuous growth of national income for at least two years
- continuous growth of per capita real income over a period of time in an economy
- continuous growth of agriculture sector
- prevention of concentration of wealth
4. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
- Economy faces the problem of utilization of resources.
- Economy faces the problem of growth of resources.
- Economy faces the problem of excess of resources.
- The central problem of an economy is the problem of allocation of resources.
5. Which of the following provides Representative Government?
- Direct Democracy
- Presidential form of Government
- Indirect Democracy
6. What is the main duty of the Legislature?
- Implementing judicial matters
- Implementing laws
- Central administration
- Enacting laws
7. Chandragupta Maurya spent his last days at
8. If only a part of the labour force employed by a firm can be dismissed at any time and without pay, the total wages and salaries paid by the firm must be considered
- a fixed cost
- party a fixed and partly a variable cost
- neither a fixed cost nor a variable cost
- a variable cost
9. Members of the Union Public Service Commission are appointed by the
- Prime Minister
- Chief Justice
- Law Minister
10. Who said, "A state is known by the rights that it maintains"?
- J.S. Mill
11. Which of the following systems is based on the principle of surplus value?
12. The busiest ocean from the point of view of trade is
- Indian Ocean
- Atlantic Ocean
- Arctic Ocean
- Pacific Ocean
13. Buddha died in the year
- 453 BC
- 468 BC
- 483 BC
- 438 BC
14. The new name of Burma is Myanmar and its capital is
15. The famous Jain centre in South India is located at
16. The Asokan Inscriptions were engraved in which script?
- Devanagari script
17. Which of the following lakes is called ‘Honeymoon Lake’?
18. Harmattan blows in Sahara desert from
- West to East
- North to South
- South to North
- East to West
19. A member of Liliaceae that shows reticulate venation is
20. Euphenics is
- Improvement of race
- Study of conditions affecting organisms
- Treatment of defective heredity through genetic engineering
- Manipulation of genes
21. Araneology is
- Study of aphids
- Study of spiders
- Study of mites
- Rearing of bees
22. What does "Corpus luteum" secrete?
23. The male sex hormone is
24. The forest in Silent Valley of Kerala is an example of
- tropical rainforest
- alpine coniferous forest
- mangrove forest
- deciduous forest
25. Annaimudi peak is located in the
- Nilgiri hills
- Palni hills
- Eastern Ghats
26. Commercially important cotton fibres are
- woody fibres of roots
- phloem fibres of roots
- bark fibres of stems
- epidermal hairs of seeds