The following seven (2) items consist of two statements, statement I and statement II. You are to examine these two statements carefully and select the answers to these items using the code given below:
- Both the statements are individually true and statements II is the correct explanation of statement I
- Both the statements are individually true and statements II is not the correct explanation of statement I
- Statement I is true but statement II is false
- Statement I is false but statement II is true
1. Statement I :
I. Red blood cells burst when placed in water.
Statement II :
II. Due to phenomenon of osmosis water enters into red blood cells.
2. Statement I :
I. Indigo formed the basis of a flourishing sector of commercial agriculture by the beginning of the 19th century.
Statement II :
II. The Indigo Commission was set up to enquire into the grievances of the indigo cultivators in 1860.
3. Which one among the following water-borne diseases is not caused by a bacteria?
- Bacillary dysentery
- Hepatitis A
4. The process of conventional earlobe piercing does not lead to bleeding. This is because the
- heart does not supply blood to earlobes
- cartilage found in earlobe has lesser blood supply unlike other body parts
- earlobes consist of dead non-dividing tissue
- needle used for ear piercing is sterilized
5. After entering the human body through mosquito bite, the malarial parasite (plasmodium) shows initial multiplication in
- Spinal chord
6. Which one among the following parts of blood carries out the function of body defence?
- White Blood Cells
- Red Blood Cells
7. Which one among the following is not included in the major clinical sign as a case definition of AIDS in children < 12 years of age?
- Persistent cough for more than 1 month
- Loss of weight
- Chronic diarrhoea
- Prolonged fever
8. Polio disease is caused by
9. Which one among the following is the hardest part of our body?
- Skull bones of head
- Thumb nails
- Enamel of teeth
- Spinal vertebra
10. Which of the following group is present in animal cells?
- Mitochondria, Cell membrane, Cell wall, Cytoplasm
- Chloroplasts, Cytoplasm, Vacuole, Nucleus
- Nucleus, Cell membrane, Mitochondria, Cytoplasm
- Vacoule, Cell membrane, Nucleus, Mitochondria
11. Which one among the following statements is correct?
In digestive system of living organisms
- glucose is broken down into glycerol
- glucose is converted into glycogen
- glucose is broken down into carbon dioxide and water
- proteins are broken down into amino acids
12. Which one among the following rocks does not belong to the same group?
13. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists:
|List I |
(World Heritage Site)
| List II |
|A. Brihadiswavara Temple||1. Maharashtra|
|B. Ellora Caves||2. Karnataka|
|C. Hampi||3. Tamil Nadu|
|D. Mahabodhi Temple||4. Bihar|
- A - 4; B - 1; C - 2; D - 3
- A - 4; B - 2; C - 1; D - 3
- A - 3; B - 2; C - 1; D - 4
- A - 3; B - 1; C - 2; D - 4
14. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists
|List I |
| List II |
|A. K2||1. Uttarakhand|
|B. Nanda Devi||2. Jammu and Kashmir|
|C. Tara Pahar||3. Sikkim|
|D. Kanchenjunga||4. Himachal Pradesh|
- A - 2; B - 4; C - 1; D - 3
- A - 2; B - 1; C - 4; D - 3
- A - 3; B - 1; C - 4; D - 2
- A - 3; B - 4; C - 1; D - 2
15. The Deccan Trap Formation was caused by
- Shield eruption
- Composite eruption
- Caldera eruption
- Flood basalt eruption
16. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
- Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone is a low pressure belt which forms an important zone of contact over Northern India and Pakistan.
- Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone invites inflow of winds from different directions.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
17. Consider the following characteristics of industries:
- They can be located in a wide variety of places.
- They are not dependent on any specific raw material.
- They are generally not polluting industries.
- The most important factor in their location is accessibility.
Which one of the following types of industries has the above characteristics?
- Market oriented
- Foot loose