SSC GL Exam 2014 - 26.10.14 (A.M.)
1. Democratic Socialism aims at
- bringing about Socialism through violent and peaceful means
- bringing about Socialism through violent means
- bringing about Socialism through democratic means
- bringing about Socialism through peaceful means
2. Two-Party System is found in
3. Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is appointed by the
- Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
- Prime Minister
- Speaker of the Lok Sabha
4. The number of subjects incorporated in the union List is
5. Who was the French Governor of Pondicherry who tried to make the French Company as a powerful company?
- La Bourdonnais
- Joseph Francois Dupleix
- Thomas Arthur, Comte de Lally
6. The most powerful Peshwa was
- Baji Rao
- Madhava Rao
- Balaji Vishwanath
- Balaji Baji Rao
7. If the supply curve is a straight line passing through the origin, then the price elasticity of supply will be
- infinitely large
- greater than unity
- equal to unity
- less than unity
8. According to Modern Theory of Rent, rent accrues to
- any factor
- labour only
- land only
- capital only
9. The book which is at the centre piece of the study of Macro- Economics was written by
- Prof. J. M. Keynes
- Prof. Benham
- Prof. Baumol
- Prof. Samuelson
10. The basic problem studied in Macro-Economics is
- usage of income
- flow of income
- distribution of income
- production of income
11. A unit price elastic demand curve will touch
- neither price axis, nor quantity axis
- only price axis
- only quantity axis
- both price and quantity axes
12. India follows the policy of non-alignment which implies
- choosing its own policies
- neutrality towards power blocs
- bringing peace and amity to the world
- being a third world power
13. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
- Podzol – Zonal soil
- Chestnut – Zonal soil
- Bhangar – Azonal soil
- Khadar – Zonal soil
14. Select the correct direction of Sirocco storm.
- North from U.S.A.
- West from Sahara
- Adriatic Sea to Italy
- Sahara to Mediterranean Sea
15. Which among the following is an abiotic factor?
16. Leaves of many grasses are capable of folding and unfolding because
- they have stomata on both sides of the leaf
- they have high levels of silica
- they have specialized bulliform cells
- their mesophyll is not differentiated into palisade and spongy parenchyma
17. Pleura is the covering of
18. Which one of the following is an egg-laying mammal?
- Duck-billed platypus
19. What are the folds found in the mucous lining of the empty stomach?
20. The First Mysore War fought between the British and Hyder Ali in 1767 – 69 A.D. came to an end by the
- Treaty of Madras
- Treaty of Mysore
- Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle
- Treaty of Pondicherry
21. The British Government intervened in the affairs of the Company and passed an Act in 1773 A.D., known as the
- Pitt’s India Act
- Charter Act
- Company Act
- Regulating Act
22. Sher Shah defeated Humayun and captured Gaur in the battle of
- Chausa in 1539 A.D.
- Panipat in 1526 A.D.
- Khanwa in 1527 A.D.
- Ghaghra in 1529 A.D.
23. Identify the most infertile amongst the following soils.
- Alluvial soil
- Laterite soil
- Peaty soil
- Black cotton soil
24. Spot the odd item of the following :
25. Which of the following reasons is responsible for lack of vegetation in the deserts?
- Absence of B-horizon in the soil
- High temperature
- Lack of rainfall
- Heavy volume of sands
26. Medicine of Quinine is provided by
- Money plant
- Eucalyptus plant
- Aconite plant
- Cinchona plant